Forms of hosting solutions
A hosting solution is associated with saving and/or sharing given web content on a server managed by a hosting vendor. There are different categories of hosting services used for different ends, so let's study these. Thus, you can choose what you need, depending on whether you wish to establish a weblog, mail accounts, or to share files with friends and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service offered by various file storage providers, which allows you to share large files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php website files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage solutions are frequently supported by showing ads beside the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a particular amount of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you have a paid file storage plan, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limit as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly incorrect explanation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would split the tasks at hand between individual bunches of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving various webspace hosting services (electronic mail, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting service is simply a type of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; certain distributors offer a hosting service for pictures solely. This hosting variant is suitable if you want to share an enormous amount of pictures with pals or partners since the service is typically free of cost. You will get a randomly generated link for each and every picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution committed to handling your mails. Some suppliers provide web site hosting services for websites, but do not provide an e-mail service. If you wish to open a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to own a web site, then the email hosting solution is what you want. You can set up mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a given video clip, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this method in lieu of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video creates a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of videos and several hundred web page visitors, you may have a problem with your web page hosting resources. Embedding the video will enable you to run as many video clips as you would like without hassling about system supplies.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you require if you desire to have a website. To a certain degree, it comprises all of the aforementioned hosting groups since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can create databases and e-mail addresses, upload video files, etc. At Blue Ribbon Hosting, for instance, you can have a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated web hosting services that allow you to have all of the aforementioned solutions in one single place. There may be limitations depending on the type of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your site hosting package may be better or worse juxtaposed to the regular e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are meant for specific content solely.